Coming again in honor of Tacoma Pride festivities! Working on confirming guests, but we’ll have queer-feminist art vendors with something for everyone celebrating pride and diversity at the shop all day.
Special Guests include:
- Vaginer Things Club – local craftmakers
- Madeline Gasperi – local author and motivational speaker
- Productivity Parlor for Artful Living – cosplay consults and sewing advice
- Delia Gable, artist of the comic Dash out from Northwest Press, plus a wide assortment of other books provided by the LGBTQ-focused Seattle comics publisher.
- Resist! July 4 edition newspapers FREE, plus you can meet contributor Lady Monster 253, selling politically inspired art prints, postcards, and patches.
- …maybe even more?
We’ll be having a special raffle with ticket sales supporting our local branch of Planned Parenthood or also accepting ticket exchange (5 tampons = 1 ticket) with donation of packages of tampons to Rescue Mission Tacoma. Please get in touch via our contact info at the bottom of the page if you would like to donate any items to this special raffle or Donate Now! More details to be finalized. Prizes include items donated by Espionage Cosmetics and the Red Hot Tacoma.
Plus later at the Tacoma Pride Block Party, Destiny City Comics will be hosting a signing with Seattle drag queen Mama Tits. Ticket required, don’t miss it!
- Friday Night Frights – host of local cult horror movie night at our historic Proctor district Blue Mouse Theater
- Michael Koehler – local artist who designed the event poster, check out his zine Discount Demon Deals at the shop!
- October Games – local game developer presenting a special demo of their new game project and also a new printing of their Horror Legends comic!
- Travis Bundy – local artist and 20th Talon of the CLAW, and co-founder of Creator’s Edge Press, will be selling his wares and giving out FREE graphic novels.
- Tacoma Ghost Tours – get schooled on the strangest tales of local hauntings and grab some of their spooky merch.
- Crypticon Seattle – special table hosted by a promotion team from Seattle’s ultimate horror con!
- VHS Swap hosted by local guerilla artist Funny Face House! Bring VHS or other stuff to swap.
We are excited to welcome Peter Bagge to talk about his new graphic biography Fire!!: The Zora Neale Hurston Story. Following on the heels of his New York Times bestselling biography of Margaret Sanger, Fire!! is a dazzling graphic novel profiling bookstore favorite Zora Neale Hurston. The fifth of eight kids from a Baptist family in Alabama, Hurston’s writing prowess blossomed at Howard University, and then Barnard College, where she was the sole black student. She arrived in NYC at the height of the Harlem Renaissance and quickly found herself surrounded by peers such as Langston Hughes and Wallace Thurman. Hurston went on to become a noted folklorist and critically acclaimed novelist, including her most provocative work Their Eyes Were Watching God. Despite these landmark achievements, personal tragedies and shifting political winds in the midcentury rendered her almost forgotten by the end of her life. Co-hosted with our friends at King’s Books.
Peter Bagge is the 2014 USA Rockefeller Fellow in Literature. He is the Harvey Award-winning author of the acclaimed 1990s alternative comic series Hate starring slacker hero Buddy Bradley and a contributing editor to Reason magazine. A graduate of the School of Visual Arts in New York City, he got his start in comics in the R. Crumb-edited magazine Weirdo. Bagge lives in Seattle with his wife Joanne, daughter, and three cats.
Hosting local art vendors at the comic shop as part of the Tacoma is for Lovers Artist Craft Fair with Kings Books at 218 St. Helens Ave.! More details coming soon.